2009 XC Ottawa eLoad/eMend Duathlon
By: Team XC Ottawa (2008/12/27)
eLoad/eMend XC Ottawa Duathlon
Come try a Pursuit Race!!
Sunday, January 11th, 2009 at Nakkertok South
XC Ottawa will be hosting a race at Nakkertok Nordic Center sponsored by eLoad energy drink and eMend recovery drink, on January 11th. The race format will be a pursuit: there will be two continuous portions one classic leg followed immediately by one skate leg. There will be a transition zone in between, where you exchange your skis and poles.
Pursuit (or duathlon) is a relatively new format on the World Cup circuit, but because it's a bit complicated to set up, it is rarely tried in domestic races.
Come on out and try it!!! Don't worry if you don't have the special 'pursuit' boots no-one else does either! The best gear to use is skating boots it makes the classic feel a little bit funny,
but it's manageable.
The XC Ottawa Duathlon is an NCD points race.
How a pursuit/duathlon works:
- Prepare classic skis and skate skis.
- Before the start, lay your skate skis and poles in a specially marked 'pit box'.
- The start is mass start classic.
- Once you are finished the classic portion, enter the stadium, go to your 'pit box', and switch to your skating skis and poles.
- Your classic gear must stay in the box your skate gear was in.
- Finish the race in the skating technique.
- Still confused? Don't worry! It'll all be clear when you get there.
Course: Check www.xcottawa.ca for course map.
Location:Nakkertok Nordic Centre (Nakkertok South). Directions and maps at http://english.nakkertok.ca/driving-directions.
Pre-Race Day Registration: On-Line Registration will be available Dec.
27th at www.xcottawa.ca/events.php and will close on January 9th at 16:00. Payment and waiver signing will still happen race-day morning.
payment, and waiver signage:
Registration will open at 7:30 and close at 10am. Remember, ALL racers
need to sign the waiver and pay entry fee at the race-site.
Entry fee:$10 per person. This race is open to everyone who wants to participate.
Prizes: Yes! From our generous sponsors, including
eLoad sport drink and eMend recovery drink.
(Classic and Skate)
|Approx Start Time*|
|Open Men & Women||1989 & older||10k (2 X 2.5km + 2x2.5km)||9:00|
|Junior Men & Women||1989 & older||10k (2x2.5km + 2x2.5km)||9:00|
|Junior Boys & Girls||1991-1992||5k (2.5km + 2.5km)||9:30|
|Juvenile Boys & Girls||1993-1994||5k (2.5km + 2.5km)||9:30|
|Midget Boys & Girls||1995-1996||3k (1.5k + 1.5k)||10:00|
|Mini-Midget Boys & Girls||1997-1998||3k (1.5k + 1.5k)||10:20|
|Pee-wee Boys & Girls||1999-2000||1.5k (FREESTYLE)||10:45|
|Atom Boys & Girls||2001-2002||1.5k (FREESTYLE)||10:45|
* Except for the 9:00 start, use other start times as a guideline only. We may need to combine/separate some categories depending on registration numbers. Check www.xcottawa.ca for more updates.