Nakkertok Nordic Ski Club - Looking for Part-time Paid Assistant Coach
By: Nakkertok (2014/03/03)
Note: this position is intended to attract new and aspiring coaches in skiing, either former or current athletes who are interested in pursuing coaching as a career or part-time employment.
The position will remain open until April 30, 2014 with a review of applications beginning February 28, 2014.
Nakkertok is one of Canada’s largest and most successful ski clubs. Through the hard work of the athletes, coaches, and club members, our racing program has enjoyed considerable success in recent years. By recruiting and retaining many dedicated athletes, Nakkertok has been the winner of the club aggregate at Canadian National Championships for the past four years. We are a volunteer run club that prides itself on its community-run philosophy.
Kieran Jones is our head coach, responsible for our Learn to Complete and Train to Compete Programs while Geoff Tomlinson is our Train to Train coach and the coach responsible for the club‘s overall coach development.
While having two full-time coaches is wonderful, we will not be able to deliver our programs without part-time coaching support. We are looking to hire a part-time coach to work alongside our full-time coaches. If you are interested in the position please submit the following documents to email@example.com.
- Cover letter and resume, highlighting why you want to coach junior cross country skiers in the juvenile and junior category
- Qualifications and what skills, experiences and background you bring
- Two references including name and contact information (at least one ski-related contact)
If you have questions or need more information please ask at the same email address.
Assistant Coach for the Learning to Compete (L2C) Program (athletes aged 13 to 17)
- Assists directly in the planning and organization of training sessions
- Provides personalized technical feedback to athletes; evaluates their progress in cooperation with the T2T/L2C lead coaches
- Attends training camps and regular training sessions in fall and winter
- Provides race support in winter: wax and equipment, athlete support, etc.
- Supports overall program objectives
- Deliver practice plans from the Program Lead Coach
- Work with volunteer coaches to deliver training when Lead Coach is absent
- Must have NCCP coaching level ICC (to be paid) and be willing to work towards CCI-T2T or equivalent.
- Must have a strong ability to communicate with athletes of various ages and development stages
- Must be available on weekends to lead Sunday practice in the summer and Saturday practice in the winter
- Must have classic and skate roller-skiing experience
- Enthusiastic and interested in pursuing coaching as a career or part-time employment
- Strong, consistent communication with program Lead Coaches
- Previous competitive skiing experience at the provincial or national level is an asset
- Previous volunteer experience as a coach in a cross country skiing program is an asset
- Prior coaching experience in sport is an asset
- Bilingualism an asset
Level of commitment:
- Approximately 10 hours per week on average; between the months of May to April
- Support 2 or 3 Quebec/Ontario Cup races (multiple three-day weekends)
- Attend coaching courses to improve certification.
- Daytime work (mornings) on Sundays in the summer, and Saturday in the fall and winter
- Evening work during the week (6-8 PM Tuesday and Thursdays)
- Races and Training Camps
- Expected to work as team with lead coaches and adhere to all Club and Program policies and procedures.