Christmas Gift Ideas for Skiers
By: Team XCOttawa.ca (2004/12/22)
Oh, oh, not many shopping days left! Do you still need to find a gift or two for the skiers on your list?
Here are our ideas for some great gifts that any skier would love.
Topping the list are always new skis! You can never really have too many pairs, just like socks. Arno suggests that he would like to find any of the following under his Christmas tree.
- Karhu Volcan Racing Classic Skis (Kiwi Mike’s Cyclery) wood/air core ski with newer side cut, made in Finland (Near the North Pole!!!! Brrrrr!!!!)
- Karhu Avelon and Impulse Recreational Skis (MEC) wood/air core ski with newer side cut, made in Finland (Near the North Pole!!!! Brrrrr!!!!)
- Karhu Grizzly Telemark Skis (Kiwi Mike’s Cyclery) This season’s ultimate East Coast Telemark ski, Made in CANADA (eh!)
Why not some new Infinity ski poles to go with those new skis? Made in Canada these are ligther, stiffer, stronger and cheaper than anything else out there! The skier that gets these for won't believe the difference they make. Looking to really wow 'em? You will with these. Not to mention that if you buy them through us you are also supporting our team.
For those looking to improve their Keskinada times this winter why not get them some really fast wax? Vauhti IR spectra is high-fluoro wax that seems to always be gliding fast in Ottawa. Maybe some Red Creek tools like a Roto-brush too? Get them at many Ottawa stores: Greg Christie’s, Pecco’s and Fresh Air Experience.
Sheila has some gift suggestions that encourage cross-country skiing, and have been very well received!
- A Gatineau Park trail pass
- An XC-Zone Ski camp session
Alicia enjoys everything warm and fuzzy. Top of her wish list this year is some new long underwear. LIFA much to her amazement, now comes in PINK...Ho!Ho!Hooray! And the lovely and multicolored assortment of Capilene base layers at Patagonia.com keep her feeling warm and fuzzy all over.
Now you can't just ski in your underwear so how about a brand new warm up suit from Sugoi? The Sugoi Accelerator jacket and Micro Fine Full Zip Warm-up Pants (zips all the way down on the sides) offer pro fit, pro function and are made in Canada (eh!). These are XC Ottawa's choice for our new uniforms and the performance is great! You can get them from Fresh Air Experience, or check out their website at www.sugoi.com. They are found in the "Men's Run" section and are unisex sizing. You can also get this jacket in a custom design (see our new uniforms) for a group of 35 or more.
Ed is looking for stylish new shades so Rudy Project's Technically cool eyewear are in store for him! Not being picky he will suggest any of the following sporty models:
- Wizaard , Kalyos, Freeon, Rydon, Ekynox SX, Graal SX, Kerosene, Rydon SX, Ekynox, RB3, Graal, and Graal Fyol.
- You can check these out at www.rudyprojectusa.com and get them from Bushtukah, Kiwi Mike’s Cyclery and other stores in Ottawa.
Inexpensive Stocking Stuffers
Tom, still on a student budget and running low on
supplies has put this request to Santa... (But has he been good?)
- Red Creek groove scrapers (I always lose them)
- A trusty putty knife (also lost)
- Some bulk Vauhti blue storage wax (best storage wax I've ever used!)
- The world's warmest toque for after-ski hanging out in the parking lot at windy P8 (Kama's Gore-tex toque works great)
- Vauhti ski-ties (people always take them from me!)
- A colourful palette of Vauhti Grip Waxes
- eload of course. Great training drink. Try it warm and during the cold weather so it keeps you warm and also does not freeze as quickly.
- Plastic Scraper
- Toe warmers and hand warmers
- Vauhti Natural cork for smoothing cold hard wax
- Vauhti Synthetic cork for smoothing warmer grip waxes and colder klisters