2008 Canadian Ski Nationals
By: Team XC Ottawa (2008/03/13)
- 2008 Canadian Ski Nationals: Skate Sprint - March 21st
- Photos from Canadian Ski Nationals II
- Photos from Canadian Ski Nationals I
- 2008 Canadian Ski Nationals: Pictures and Report for Medium Distance Skate - March 19th
- 2008 Canadian Ski Nationals: Classic race, A hairy situation - March 18th
- 2008 Canadian Ski Nationals: Sprint Relay Ė March 16th
2008/03/13 - The 2008 Haywood Ski Nationals, the 81st Canadian Cross Country Ski Championships, run from March 16-23 at Whistler Olympic Park (Callaghan Valley) the trails that will be used for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. Since this is a huge pre-Olympic event there will be lots of international skiers in attendance scoping out the courses.
Event organizers expect competitors from 16 nations; Norway, Finland, Peru, South Africa, Great Britain, Australia, Japan and New Zealand, a large contingent from the USA and there is speculation that some of the world's top-ranked skiers from Sweden (Bjoern Lind, Peter Larsson, Emil Joensson and Robin Bryntesson) might attend. [CCC's latest confirmation list include the Swedes.] This would make it the second most exciting event of the winter season after the Canmore World Cups, but much bigger and inclusive with 725 athletes of all ages competing.
What can skiers expect in terms of courses? Well, Tom McCarthy provided us with a great report and photos of the course and what to expect in his Callaghan Valley: The First Ski article, as well as John Taylor's The Callaghan Valley (Whistler Olympic Park) Cross-Country Ski Trails.
XC Ottawa is sending coach John Suuronen, Karl, Megan, Sheila, Alan, Justin and Zoe. They will be joined by the Western Bureau's McCarthy brothers Tom and Ed. Also look for lots of local athletes from Nakkertok and Skinouk in the results.
- Results on zone4.ca
- Canadian Ski Nationals Portal
- 2008 Ski National Page
- Course Maps
- Callaghan Valley Trail Conditions
- XC Ottawa at Nationals